"I’m going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We’ll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat… John 21:3
To build meaningful relationships with other outdoorsmen for the purpose of leading them to, or back to, Jesus Christ.
Brodie Cooper, Blast & Cast Men’s Ministries
Primary check in will begin on Friday, May 31 from noon until 2:00 pm at the lodge. If you will not be able to check in by 2:00 pm on Friday, please let us know ahead of time. You can check in Friday evening after dark if necessary.
The event will officially end at noon on Sunday, June 2. Everyone must check out by noon on Sunday. Volunteer Boat Owners must check in and be on site by 2:00 pm on Friday.
We will have two private camp houses for the event. Primary check in and meetings will be held at:
1857 Doctor Beatrous Rd
Theriot LA 70397
First registered first reserved!
We will have volunteers present along with their boats. Our volunteer boat owners are paying their way and are not professionals – nor are they licensed guides. No tips allowed, but gas in the tank and your share of other expenses is expected. Please bring cash to assist with boat gas, ice, and bait. Each volunteer boat owner will be assigned a fishing party each day. While we keep fathers and sons together, usually you will be fishing with people you don’t know. This is done purposefully so please don’t be surprised. Additionally, we will try to pair volunteer boat owners with parties suitable to their preferred method of fishing, but please remember to be flexible as this won’t always be possible.
Volunteer boat owners will be introduced to their parties in our meetings. Please see your volunteer boat owner for assistance and/or special needs with regard to fishing.
Dinner will be provided for both Friday and Saturday nights’ meals. Breakfast will be served Saturday and Sunday morning. A limited supply of drinks and snacks will be available to take on the fishing trips, but plan to bring your favorite soft drinks. Leftovers will be available for lunches, but most parties will eat out based on their fishing location and schedule.
Door prizes will be given out Saturday night. If you’d like to donate door prizes or fishing tackle, please let me know.
- Perfect people are not allowed. Come as you are, no pretending.
- No drunkenness. Alcohol in moderation is allowed, but not on the boats, please.
- No profanity. We want to keep the environment kid-friendly.
- Have a good time.
What to bring:
- Sleeping bag, pillow, towel, toiletries
- Everyone should bring their own fishing gear and tackle as it is not expected of the volunteer boat owners to lend out their gear or tackle. If they choose to do so, please replace it. Suggested tackle list is below.
- Cash for boat gas, ice, or any live bait you would like to use
- Sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses
- Saltwater fishing license for Louisiana
- Filet knife and Ziploc bags – plan to clean your own fish please.
- A cooler to bring fish home
- A willing attitude that’s eager to help make it work and have a good time – remember, everyone there is a volunteer, so set your expectations as though you are going on a weekend trip with friends.
Plan to fish for trout, redfish, and flounder. Each fisherman should bring their own rod. Appropriate rods are medium-light to medium action, 6-7ft long, either spinning or bait-casting. Monofilament line is typically 12lb test, braided line is typically 20-30lb test. It’s recommended to put fresh line on reels if you haven’t done so in the last few months.
Artificial baits – Paddle tail style baits are the easiest to fish. 3-4’’ models in glow/chartreuse, red/white, black/charreuse, and pumpkinseed are the basics. Weedless spoons in weights from ¼ ounce to ¾ ounce are also easy to fish and effective. Spinner baits like the Redfish Magic can come in handy. Topwater baits like Super Spook Jr’s or Skitterwalks (white, chrome, or black) can be exciting. Gulp shrimptails fished under a popping cork can also be effective and kid friendly.
Event chairman: Brodie Cooper
E-Mail: [email protected]
Event co-chairman: Steve Smith
E-Mail: [email protected]
If you need information prior to the event please contact us via e-mail.
If you need assistance on the road or during the event, please contact us via phone.
We recommend that volunteer boat owners and their parties exchange cell phone numbers at the event to stay in contact.
* Please note that our volunteer boat owners are receiving no compensation for their services and are paying for their spot at the event. They are not professionals, and are simply volunteering their boats, gear, and know how so that you can have a good time. Because of this, please take the utmost care of their gear.
Schedule of Events