New for 2019, we will be hosting two youth deer hunts out of the Proctor Lake Lodge. Hunts will be conducted in conjunction with the Army Corps of Engineers to help reduce the population of whitetail deer on Corps controlled parks and land in the area. The hunt will be free for youth hunters and their parent/guardian, and youth hunters will be selected via an application process designed to bring in a mix of first-time and long-time attendees.
All lodging and meals will be provided. Youth hunters will receive a t-shirt and a door prize. Lodging is dormitory style with bunk beds. (The December hunt will have a girls only room and a boys only room and we will provide female chaperones to help supervise the girls only room. Teenage girls strongly preferred for the December hunt.)
Hunts will take place November 15-17 (boys only) and December 13-15 (primarily girls, with a few boys to fill in). Youth hunters must apply for each hunt if they’d like to be considered.
- Youth aged 7-17 are eligible, and only youth may shoot
- Parent or guardian must attend with the youth hunter
- Both parent and youth must have valid TPWD hunting license
- Must bring a scoped rifle that has been properly sighted in (.243 caliber minimum)
- Youth must pass a range test on Friday evening before hunting (must be able to hit a paper plate reliably at 100 yards)
- Check in by 3pm Friday – must be present for range test and orientation to participate
- Both parent and youth must wear hunter orange at all times in the field
- Parent or guardian is responsible for cleaning any animals harvested by the youth
- A chaperone can be provided to hunt with and teach the parent and youth throughout the weekend
If you have any questions, please contact Greg Young at [email protected]
Completion of the application should not be considered entry into the hunt! Selected applicants will be notified via personal e-mail or telephone at least 2 weeks prior to the hunt.